Skip to main content

The Wave (2015) - Review


The Wave is a Norwegian disaster flick about a small town in a Norway at risk of getting hit by a rock-slide tsunami. I'm a sucker for disaster films and I just accidentally stumbled upon this film one day when watching trailers, and I just had to give it a try.

Our protagonist is a geologist who is stationed at this town and works in a team to study and monitor potential rock-slides etc. He of course has a family, which like any other disaster flick, acts as the main source of drama. Now, I liked the main dude, he delivered a decent performance. Some of the other actors were pretty OK too while some were meh.

Best thing about this movie was that it reminded me of older hollywood disaster flicks, like Dante's Peak. It wasn't fast paced or filled with destruction etc, but rather took its time to build up the disaster. It was pretty short as well, so it didn't felt boring or anything. The scale was very small though, I wish there was one more big thing after the wave but can't blame the movie too much for it as budget was very small.

The CGI was surprisingly good, especially considering the minuscule budget of the film. I enjoyed the main scene quite a bit, and the wave indeed looked terrifying. The soundtrack was pretty decent as well. The location was simply BEAUTIFUL and the Cinematography took full advantage of it. I really wanna visit the town now. Interesting thing is that the movie is based off on actual events

It certainly had some clear influences from Hollywood and had incorporated similar stuff. Several cliches and stupid character decisions and moments, especially at the end, which was just a too focused cliche scene. All this made the movie pretty predictable as well. Atleast the movie wasn't cheesy AF.

Overall, it was a decent watch for my disaster movie itch. If you like disaster movies, definitely give this one a try.

7/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spartacus (2010) - TV Series Review (Complete)

Spartacus is a surprising series for me. I first watched it when there were only two seasons out, and back then it was kinda OK for me. Now, after re-watching the first two seasons along with the rest, I found it to be a pretty good series, great even. The series is about Spartacus and how he journey's from being a free man to a gladiator, and then to a leader. The whole series is structured in such a way that their is an overall forward progression with each season focused on a specific part. This results in focus on each area and ultimately they all come together quite nicely. Also, the series is divided into spartacus' related scenes and the roman leaders etc related scenes, developing both sides, side by side, throughout. This not only makes it easy to develop a large number of characters, it also develops both sides and not making it plain black and white. It makes things more interesting, and makes some outcomes way more satisfying. There are A LOT of characters t...

Shin Godzilla (2016) - Movie Review

Shin Godzilla is the newest Godzilla film from Toho, the studio behind the Japanese Godzilla films dating back all the way to 1954. This one is a reboot of the franchise, yet again, for the contemporary Japan and the plot is basically what you'd expect; Godzilla arrives and wreaks havoc, all the while the Government tries to defeat it. Since the original Godzilla was inspired by the effects and scars from the WWII Atomic Bombings on Japan by USA, and how destructive and horrifying that power is, this one is similar and was inspired by the 2011 Japan Earthquake and Tsunami, and the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant disaster, all the while being disguised in a monster movie. Godzilla in this movie instills a sense of dread and fear as this indestructible monster with the power to lay waste to everything, a biological TERROR, and I really liked that about this movie. The way its proper form looked, particularly the head, was unsettling and that was the movie's intention, so ...

The Mummy (2017) - Movie Review

You know, I see people saying they're sick and/or tired of the whole shared universe style that has been the craze for the past almost decade or so. But I, personally, still enjoy it. Thing is, there is a correct way of doing it, and then there is a shitty way of doing. I don't know why Universal thought the shitty way was the path to be on. The Mummy should have been a movie about, well, THE MUMMY. But instead, it is an amalgamation of several poorly executed plot threads in an attempt to jump-start the new 'Dark Universe', with one of them being related to The Mummy. And it all comes together to create an incoherent messy movie. There are so many things going on with multiple changing rules that you just don't give a shit.  Tom Cruise is the lead, and I will say that even in a movie like this, he still brings his charm and charisma to give somewhat of an enjoyable performance. His buddy in the movie made for some funzies as well. But even th...