Skip to main content

Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void (2015) - Review

"My Life for Aiur."

AH Starcraft 2, my favourite RTS franchise. I never knew or got into the first Starcraft but when I played wings of liberty back when it was released, I got immediately hooked to the story and the gameplay. Been waiting a long time for this last part of the trilogy, and the franchise, to come out, and finally got enough time to replay the previous two parts and finish this all in one go.

Legacy of the Void is a protoss focused campaign like how Wings of Liberty was for Terrans and Heart of the Swarm was for the Zerg. And it is about time we finally get to play as them.

Things I liked:
  • The cinematic storytelling returned better than ever. The story continues from where Heart of the Swarm left off, with Amon's threat getting bigger and graver. It all had this Mass Effect feel to it and considering it is my favourite game (trilogy) of all time, I was really digging and enjoying the story. Old faces return, alliances are created, armies are forged, all that good shit.
  • Blizzard once again showed that they are the gods of CGI cut scenes. From that epic opening scene to various others throughout the game, they were really a sight to behold. And not only that, the in-game cutscenes were pretty great as well.
  • The Protagonist: Artanis. I didn't really knew much about him but I immediately liked him. He was your usual young leader type character but his execution was good enough that you felt like a leader yourself when playing the game.
  • The side characters were pretty good and varying. And it was great conversing with them between missions as each had different views about their kind and factions and it just gave you a great insight to how protoss think of each other.
  • Like in the previous parts, good to great voice acting, making characters more interesting.
  • Best soundtrack in the trilogy hand down. It was so great.
  • A pretty well rounded conclusion to a great story. Sure I wanted more closure, as with all the endings, but what I got was still great.
  • The gameplay design was really great. Almost all of the missions required you to create different types of units to properly succeed instead of spamming one or two unit types, and I liked this forceful diversity.
  • The Spear of Adun mechanic was a great add-on. Tons of abilities that you could experiment with in each mission and they were great and fun to use. Also, because of it, every bonus objective had more weight to it since finishing them would give you more resources to use Adun's abilities. This resulted in me trying to finish all the bonus objectives first in each mission.
  • Each unit type changes were really great as well. As the game progresses, you open up new types of the unit and can choose and experiment in different missions.

Things I didn't liked:
  • While the game graphics aren't bad or anything, they look almost the same like they did 5 years ago when Wings of Liberty came out. I mean it would have been nice to have some big improvement over them.
  • Majority of the missions had a real same-y feeling. They got too monotonous. The structure was almost the same i.e main target needs to be destroyed but has this many points that needs to be taken out first etc etc.
  • Story does get cheesy or bit heavy handed at times, which was the issue in previous two parts as well. Small nitpick on my part since I love it regardless.


All in all, I had a real blast re-playing the previous parts again and finally playing this. Was a great couple of days and really creates the momentum to enjoy this epic galactic tale. Starcraft 2 is easily my favourite RTS of all time, and really, there is no other RTS that focuses so much on its campaign and I applaud Blizzard for putting so much effort into it. Wings of Liberty remains my favourite part overall.

As always, when something great ends, a layer of sadness is present, and I will miss this franchise, but at the same time I'm glad it ended on a high not cause too many games/franchises screw up their endings.

9/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) - Movie Review

"Everyone creates the thing they fear. Men of peace create engines of war. Avengers create invaders. Parents create children, that will supplant them." It's the kind of movie that I had great time with, even though I will agree to it having tons of flaws. Lets start with the story, it was mostly a mess. Throughout the movie, it felt like so much stuff have been crammed into a runtime obviously not enough for it. Pacing was a hit and a miss. There were some stuff that was really rushed while other sequences dragged on. Ultron creation and character development in particular was rushed like hell, something that would have benefited greatly from getting more screen time. Also, whole thing between Bruce and Natasha felt forced and out of place. Their scenes really dragged on. It would have been better if they went with Natasha and Steve instead as they had great chemistry in Winter Soldier. It just felt like the whole movie needed more time to be polished out, smooth out

The Crown (2016) - TV Series Review (Season 1)

"We’re all dying. That’s what defines the condition of living ." The Crown is a series about Queen Elizabeth II and her early years as the Queen. Now personally, I don't really have that much interest in the subject matter and wouldn't go actively look for media showcasing it, but after hearing so many great things about it, I decided to give it a watch. To my surprise, I was hooked from the start. The series is so well made, the execution of everything is so exemplary, and its pacing is remarkably well balanced (for a series like this), that I couldn't help but have a wonderful time with it. I was intrigued by the inner workings of the royal household, and how the crown weighs on the bearer and the people surrounding them.  The casting was damn good. Many of the actors do look similar to the personalities they are portraying in that time, and the acting itself was marvelous. Clair Foy is so lovely and plays as the queen with great beauty. John Lithgow

The Mummy (2017) - Movie Review

You know, I see people saying they're sick and/or tired of the whole shared universe style that has been the craze for the past almost decade or so. But I, personally, still enjoy it. Thing is, there is a correct way of doing it, and then there is a shitty way of doing. I don't know why Universal thought the shitty way was the path to be on. The Mummy should have been a movie about, well, THE MUMMY. But instead, it is an amalgamation of several poorly executed plot threads in an attempt to jump-start the new 'Dark Universe', with one of them being related to The Mummy. And it all comes together to create an incoherent messy movie. There are so many things going on with multiple changing rules that you just don't give a shit.  Tom Cruise is the lead, and I will say that even in a movie like this, he still brings his charm and charisma to give somewhat of an enjoyable performance. His buddy in the movie made for some funzies as well. But even th