Skip to main content

Sleeping With Other People (2015) - Movie Review


Sleeping With Other People is a romantic-comedy-drama about two people with sexual and relationship issues, who after finding each other help to bring about reforms. 

Now, this was a pleasantly surprising watch for me. I thought it would be some typical romcom, and I only gave it a watch because I like both the leads. But I was wrong.  

The story wasn't anything new. The beats felt similar to every other romcom (For the most part), and the movie is predictable. BUT it is the execution that it made it feel fresh. It had genuine heart, took its time in more emotional moments, and gave its characters room to breath. 

The core of the movie is the relationship between the leads, and boy oh boy did Alison Brie and Jason Sudeikis nailed it. Best performances of their career so far for me. They had such a palpable chemistry. Both worked off each other so well, and it all felt really natural. Very rarely do I see this in movies like these. And the director knew it, so majority of their conversations had much longer cuts than what you'd expect, giving the conversations more weight. Supporting cast was pretty good too. 

There was a point in the movie where, if it ended there, it would have been a bold move and I would have liked it more, and would have respected that. But it goes on for like 10-15 mins more for a more safer end. 

All in all, this movie is a cut above your typical offerings from this genre, and is definitely worth a watch. 

7.5/10




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spartacus (2010) - TV Series Review (Complete)

Spartacus is a surprising series for me. I first watched it when there were only two seasons out, and back then it was kinda OK for me. Now, after re-watching the first two seasons along with the rest, I found it to be a pretty good series, great even. The series is about Spartacus and how he journey's from being a free man to a gladiator, and then to a leader. The whole series is structured in such a way that their is an overall forward progression with each season focused on a specific part. This results in focus on each area and ultimately they all come together quite nicely. Also, the series is divided into spartacus' related scenes and the roman leaders etc related scenes, developing both sides, side by side, throughout. This not only makes it easy to develop a large number of characters, it also develops both sides and not making it plain black and white. It makes things more interesting, and makes some outcomes way more satisfying. There are A LOT of characters t...

Shin Godzilla (2016) - Movie Review

Shin Godzilla is the newest Godzilla film from Toho, the studio behind the Japanese Godzilla films dating back all the way to 1954. This one is a reboot of the franchise, yet again, for the contemporary Japan and the plot is basically what you'd expect; Godzilla arrives and wreaks havoc, all the while the Government tries to defeat it. Since the original Godzilla was inspired by the effects and scars from the WWII Atomic Bombings on Japan by USA, and how destructive and horrifying that power is, this one is similar and was inspired by the 2011 Japan Earthquake and Tsunami, and the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant disaster, all the while being disguised in a monster movie. Godzilla in this movie instills a sense of dread and fear as this indestructible monster with the power to lay waste to everything, a biological TERROR, and I really liked that about this movie. The way its proper form looked, particularly the head, was unsettling and that was the movie's intention, so ...

The Mummy (2017) - Movie Review

You know, I see people saying they're sick and/or tired of the whole shared universe style that has been the craze for the past almost decade or so. But I, personally, still enjoy it. Thing is, there is a correct way of doing it, and then there is a shitty way of doing. I don't know why Universal thought the shitty way was the path to be on. The Mummy should have been a movie about, well, THE MUMMY. But instead, it is an amalgamation of several poorly executed plot threads in an attempt to jump-start the new 'Dark Universe', with one of them being related to The Mummy. And it all comes together to create an incoherent messy movie. There are so many things going on with multiple changing rules that you just don't give a shit.  Tom Cruise is the lead, and I will say that even in a movie like this, he still brings his charm and charisma to give somewhat of an enjoyable performance. His buddy in the movie made for some funzies as well. But even th...