Skip to main content

Whiplash (2014) - Review


"I'd rather die drunk, broke at 34 and have people at a dinner table talk about me than live to be rich and sober at 90 and nobody remembered who I was."

It's a simple story about a drummer enrolled in a prestigious music school aiming to become the next big thing and his ordeal when he gets into a class of a hardcore teacher.

Never in a million years would I have thought that a movie like this would make me sweat and raise my heart beat like crazy. I'm not particularly a fan of Jazz or drumming, the subject matter of the movie, and yet this movie somehow managed to do the impossible for me. WOW, just WOW.

Miles Teller, the guy who I have mostly seen in small secondary roles, was amazing as the lead in this movie. What made me even more appreciative of him is the fact that he did almost all of the drumming by himself, no special effects or whatever. And then there is J.K Simmons, who plays the hardcore teacher in the movie. He just blew my mind with his acting. His intensity was mesmerizing, so awesome.

The direction of the movie is spot on. I mean, there aren't any useless or non required stuff, only a small set of characters so we get all the focus on the main story. And best of all, is the intensity, which slowly but surely keeps on increasing as the movie goes forward and then explodes in the finale. I honestly was at the edge of my seat, with my hands sweating like crazy, and my heart beating like I was sprinting, during the finale. And the world wasn't in danger, the human race didn't face extinction, the favourite character wasn't dying or anything etc etc, it was just a drumming (plus ensemble) performance, that's the beauty of this film. Hats of to the team that made this film.

One of the best film of last year, easily. A must MUST watch.

9/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spartacus (2010) - TV Series Review (Complete)

Spartacus is a surprising series for me. I first watched it when there were only two seasons out, and back then it was kinda OK for me. Now, after re-watching the first two seasons along with the rest, I found it to be a pretty good series, great even. The series is about Spartacus and how he journey's from being a free man to a gladiator, and then to a leader. The whole series is structured in such a way that their is an overall forward progression with each season focused on a specific part. This results in focus on each area and ultimately they all come together quite nicely. Also, the series is divided into spartacus' related scenes and the roman leaders etc related scenes, developing both sides, side by side, throughout. This not only makes it easy to develop a large number of characters, it also develops both sides and not making it plain black and white. It makes things more interesting, and makes some outcomes way more satisfying. There are A LOT of characters t...

Shin Godzilla (2016) - Movie Review

Shin Godzilla is the newest Godzilla film from Toho, the studio behind the Japanese Godzilla films dating back all the way to 1954. This one is a reboot of the franchise, yet again, for the contemporary Japan and the plot is basically what you'd expect; Godzilla arrives and wreaks havoc, all the while the Government tries to defeat it. Since the original Godzilla was inspired by the effects and scars from the WWII Atomic Bombings on Japan by USA, and how destructive and horrifying that power is, this one is similar and was inspired by the 2011 Japan Earthquake and Tsunami, and the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant disaster, all the while being disguised in a monster movie. Godzilla in this movie instills a sense of dread and fear as this indestructible monster with the power to lay waste to everything, a biological TERROR, and I really liked that about this movie. The way its proper form looked, particularly the head, was unsettling and that was the movie's intention, so ...

The Mummy (2017) - Movie Review

You know, I see people saying they're sick and/or tired of the whole shared universe style that has been the craze for the past almost decade or so. But I, personally, still enjoy it. Thing is, there is a correct way of doing it, and then there is a shitty way of doing. I don't know why Universal thought the shitty way was the path to be on. The Mummy should have been a movie about, well, THE MUMMY. But instead, it is an amalgamation of several poorly executed plot threads in an attempt to jump-start the new 'Dark Universe', with one of them being related to The Mummy. And it all comes together to create an incoherent messy movie. There are so many things going on with multiple changing rules that you just don't give a shit.  Tom Cruise is the lead, and I will say that even in a movie like this, he still brings his charm and charisma to give somewhat of an enjoyable performance. His buddy in the movie made for some funzies as well. But even th...