Skip to main content

Divergent Series: Allegiant (2016) - Review


The third part in the Divergent series, Allegiant continues the story where Insurgent left off, with our heroes now preparing to go beyond the wall and discover the truth. Now I personally enjoyed the previous two parts. Sure they are your typical tween novel adaptation and have most of the cliches and tropes but the execution was good enough for a decent watch. And I was interested to see where the story was headed. Sadly, this movie destroyed all that.

Story developed into a convoluted and uninteresting mess, wasting talents like Jeff Daniels and making the lead feel like she's not in the mood to act. I liked Shailene Woodley in the previous parts but here she felt like she's just here to collect the check, for most of the times (There are some good scenes of her). Also, it really bugged me that Miles Teller character got downgraded to the typical asshole again after getting some development in the previous part (*sigh*).

There are some good action scenes, but at the same time there are some bad ones too with clearly lazy choreography. The whole war ordeal was so mishandled, I have a huge affinity for such stuff and if they couldn't make it interesting enough for me to give a damn, then they really screwed up.

CGI was a mixed bag. The wasteland looked weird. And since the movie wasn't good enough to keep me interested, you notice a lot more plot holes in the story. I'll eventually watch the next and last part when it is released but after this, I'm in no way interested where the plot is headed.

5.8/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spartacus (2010) - TV Series Review (Complete)

Spartacus is a surprising series for me. I first watched it when there were only two seasons out, and back then it was kinda OK for me. Now, after re-watching the first two seasons along with the rest, I found it to be a pretty good series, great even. The series is about Spartacus and how he journey's from being a free man to a gladiator, and then to a leader. The whole series is structured in such a way that their is an overall forward progression with each season focused on a specific part. This results in focus on each area and ultimately they all come together quite nicely. Also, the series is divided into spartacus' related scenes and the roman leaders etc related scenes, developing both sides, side by side, throughout. This not only makes it easy to develop a large number of characters, it also develops both sides and not making it plain black and white. It makes things more interesting, and makes some outcomes way more satisfying. There are A LOT of characters t...

Shin Godzilla (2016) - Movie Review

Shin Godzilla is the newest Godzilla film from Toho, the studio behind the Japanese Godzilla films dating back all the way to 1954. This one is a reboot of the franchise, yet again, for the contemporary Japan and the plot is basically what you'd expect; Godzilla arrives and wreaks havoc, all the while the Government tries to defeat it. Since the original Godzilla was inspired by the effects and scars from the WWII Atomic Bombings on Japan by USA, and how destructive and horrifying that power is, this one is similar and was inspired by the 2011 Japan Earthquake and Tsunami, and the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant disaster, all the while being disguised in a monster movie. Godzilla in this movie instills a sense of dread and fear as this indestructible monster with the power to lay waste to everything, a biological TERROR, and I really liked that about this movie. The way its proper form looked, particularly the head, was unsettling and that was the movie's intention, so ...

The Mummy (2017) - Movie Review

You know, I see people saying they're sick and/or tired of the whole shared universe style that has been the craze for the past almost decade or so. But I, personally, still enjoy it. Thing is, there is a correct way of doing it, and then there is a shitty way of doing. I don't know why Universal thought the shitty way was the path to be on. The Mummy should have been a movie about, well, THE MUMMY. But instead, it is an amalgamation of several poorly executed plot threads in an attempt to jump-start the new 'Dark Universe', with one of them being related to The Mummy. And it all comes together to create an incoherent messy movie. There are so many things going on with multiple changing rules that you just don't give a shit.  Tom Cruise is the lead, and I will say that even in a movie like this, he still brings his charm and charisma to give somewhat of an enjoyable performance. His buddy in the movie made for some funzies as well. But even th...