Skip to main content

The Babadook (2014) - Movie Review


This movie is about a widow with a single child, who are being haunted by an entity known as The Babadook.

After hearing so much praise for this film, honestly, I'm a bit disappointed. The movie was shot well and I applaud it for not relying on cheap jump scares and instead use other means to inject fear into the viewer. Problem was that while there was some genuine creepy moments in the film, it always felt like they were cut short and didn't truly terrify me, leaving me unfulfilled. And while the movie did a good job of using the good old technique of keeping the monster in the dark and using its presence and the idea of it to scare, the movie did show the monster and I couldn't help but find it more funny looking then terrifying, which consequently reduced the fear factor of the scenes that followed. And it didn't help that there was literally no lore or info about the monster whatsoever.

Now, on to the good parts. The acting in the movie was fantastic. Essie Davis, who plays the mother, was absolutely superb. She did such a good job. Oscar Worthy Performance in my opinion. The kid in the movie was fantastic too and I was really surprised because kids, especially in horror movies, almost always suck. But he gave a great performance. I also loved how the movie turned the table and makes you change your sympathies for the characters. I also liked how it delved into the depression of the mother and showed its horrors. And used the situation at hand as an allegory to it.

All in all, the movie was disappointing as I had high expectations, but that doesn't mean it was bad. I still liked it overall. Issues aside, it is nice to see horror movies like these.

7/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spartacus (2010) - TV Series Review (Complete)

Spartacus is a surprising series for me. I first watched it when there were only two seasons out, and back then it was kinda OK for me. Now, after re-watching the first two seasons along with the rest, I found it to be a pretty good series, great even. The series is about Spartacus and how he journey's from being a free man to a gladiator, and then to a leader. The whole series is structured in such a way that their is an overall forward progression with each season focused on a specific part. This results in focus on each area and ultimately they all come together quite nicely. Also, the series is divided into spartacus' related scenes and the roman leaders etc related scenes, developing both sides, side by side, throughout. This not only makes it easy to develop a large number of characters, it also develops both sides and not making it plain black and white. It makes things more interesting, and makes some outcomes way more satisfying. There are A LOT of characters t...

The Mummy (2017) - Movie Review

You know, I see people saying they're sick and/or tired of the whole shared universe style that has been the craze for the past almost decade or so. But I, personally, still enjoy it. Thing is, there is a correct way of doing it, and then there is a shitty way of doing. I don't know why Universal thought the shitty way was the path to be on. The Mummy should have been a movie about, well, THE MUMMY. But instead, it is an amalgamation of several poorly executed plot threads in an attempt to jump-start the new 'Dark Universe', with one of them being related to The Mummy. And it all comes together to create an incoherent messy movie. There are so many things going on with multiple changing rules that you just don't give a shit.  Tom Cruise is the lead, and I will say that even in a movie like this, he still brings his charm and charisma to give somewhat of an enjoyable performance. His buddy in the movie made for some funzies as well. But even th...

Attack On Titan (2013) - Anime Review (Season 1)

The most hyped up anime of last year. And it definitely lives up to the hype. The premise of the anime is that huge humanoid creatures called Titans almost drove humanity to the brink of extinction several 100 years ago. The only way humanity was able to survive was to build huge walls and live inside them. Very interesting stuff, and the story builds up nicely too. Since humanity is mostly in the dark about the titans, we as a viewer are subjected to the same treatment and slow reveals of new info as the plot about them as the plot moves forward is always exciting and shocking. The atmosphere is very grim and desperate. Sadness, hopelessness, loss etc is always looming overhead, perfect for this type of premise. This anime has an extremely EPIC!! feel to it. The soundtrack, the speeches, the motivational talk, and of course the action, all have the highest level of epicness applied to them. Infact, the word 'Epic' falls short to describing it. And this is the strength of ...